Sun-dried tomatoes preserved in virgin olive oil are my favorite snack. The flavor is amazing, full and strong, that's why I only take one tomato and finely slice it to pieces and then I just sprinkle it on top of my salad, which is almost always rocket (rucola) with buffalo mozzarella. Combined with spicy Italian olives and we have a combination to die for.
Here's how to do it, you'll need:
a clove of garlic
virgin olive oil
100 g of sun-dried tomatoes (check with your local Italian deli)
an empty jam jar
- Divide the sun-dried tomatoes into three little piles. Place one pile in your jar.
- Peel the garlic and place the little cloves all over the first little pile of tomatoes. Use as much garlic as you like, if you're not a garlic lover, that's okay, skip this part.
- Sprinkle with herbal salt.
4. Add olive oil so the tomatoes are almost entirely covered.
5. Press down with a fork hard, so that the air comes out. Repeat all the previous steps til you have used all the sun-dried tomatoes. Be careful not to spill olive oil when pressing down with a fork.